MSM Banner

Twin City Rapid Transit Company Car No. 322

P C C Car #322


In 1944, the TCRT board of directors approved the annual purchase of PCC streetcars to replace the aging but well-maintained wooden fleet. PCC No. 322 is from the initial 1946 order of 40 cars that were delivered by the St. Louis Car Company of St. Louis, Missouri between December 1946 and January 1947. No. 322 arrived in December 1946 and entered service the following month. In 1951 it was converted from two-man to one-man operation.

A 1949 management change resulted in abandonment of plans to acquire a large PCC fleet to replace the wooden cars. Instead, plans were made to abandon all streetcar service in favor of buses. As streetcar service drew to a close, in October 1953, No. 322 was one of thirty cars sold to Public Service Coordinated Transport of Newark, New Jersey for operation in the Newark City Subway. It became their No. 3. They in turn sold it to the Greater Cleveland RTA in April 1978, where it was also No. 3.

In August 1990, No. 322 was purchased by the Museum for restoration and operation. Work was done at the Metro Transit overhaul base in St. Paul from April 1992 until July 1997, when it was moved to the Como-Harriet Streetcar Line for completion. It returned to service in 2000.

To see a series of photos documenting the 1992 - 2000 restoration of PCC No. 322, click here.


The streetcar is of all-steel construction.


P C C  322 at u of m

One of the two known photos of MSM's PCC No. 322 in service. On Washington Avenue just after crossing the Mississippi River, No. 322 is heading to St. Paul in front of Coffman Union at the University of Minnesota in the late 40s. Thanks to George Isaacs, his friend Fred W. Schneider sent this photo. Click on the image to supersize it.

PCC Car No. 325

P C C  325 at rockhill

MSM's PCC Car No. 322 and No. 325 were both sold to Newark, NJ, in 1953. For more information about No. 325 and pictures, click here.

Information from The Electric Railways of Minnesota, by Russell L. Olson. Published by the Minnesota Transportation Museum.

Back button Home button