Please consider a generous donation to our Museum’s 2018-2019 Annual Appeal. The goal in this Annual Appeal is to raise funds to rebuild the trucks under TCRT “gate car” No. 1239 and perform other necessary work. More information and an online donation form can be found on the Annual Appeal page of the site.
- The stairs to the storage area are now hinged and can be raised or lowered by remote control. When not in use they remain raised which opens up the entire length of the History Wall and store area below.
- About 50 feet of 48” wide cork has been installed on the wall, allowing for an expanded display of our Streetcar’s historical past. The cork also gives us the ability to continually update the pictures, keeping the display fresh for returning riders.
- Bead Board painted in Streetcar Yellow has been installed above and below the cork giving a Streetcar look to the entire area. To complete the trolley motif, the cork has been framed in Streetcar Green with Streetcar Red bordering the top of the entire wall.
- The store itself has been expanded from two to three display cases which allowed merchandise offerings to be increased from 25 to 70 items.
- The end result is a brand new look for our riders while giving them greater exposure to our streetcar history and merchandise.
THE COMO-HARRIET and EXCELSIOR STREETCAR LINES
NEED TROLLEY DRIVERS, STATION AGENTS AND MAINTENANCE CREW
Have you ever wanted to do something totally unique? How about operating a trolley car? Help us re-create history, and have a little fun, by volunteering your time and skills doing something that contributes to the quality of life in our community! Have you ever seen or ridden the historic streetcars that operate in downtown Excelsior or between Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun and said: “Gee, that looks like fun!” Well, here’s your chance.
The Minnesota Streetcar Museum, one of the few “living history” museums in the Twin Cities, needs volunteers to operate the historic Minnesota streetcars at its two streetcar lines. The Excelsior Streetcar Line is located in downtown Excelsior. The Como-Harriet Streetcar Line is in the Linden Hills neighborhood near the Lake Harriet Band shell in Minneapolis.
In addition to operators we are also looking for volunteers to become station agents. We also are recruiting people intersected in maintaining our fleet of streetcars and the track.
There will be informational meetings on April 7 and 8. Operator training starts the following week. Operator trainees need to be at least 18 years old and must be physically capable of operating a streetcar for at least three hours a minimum of once per month and have a valid driver’s license.
During training, which is scheduled on a flexible basis, you’ll learn how to operate the streetcar as well as a little history about Twin City’s streetcars. For more information about the museum, please visit our website, TrolleyRide.org or contact Pat Cosgrove at 952-953-6559 or email@example.com. You may also contact us at https://trolleyride.org/about/volunteer/ . Operator applications are due April 6. Station Agents and maintenance crew applications are welcome at any time.
Please consider a generous donation to our Museum’s 2017-2018 Annual Appeal. The goal in this Annual Appeal is to raise funds to rebuild the trucks under TCRT “gate car” No. 1239 which operates at our Excelsior Streetcar Line. More information can be found here: 2017-2018 Annual Appeal Flyer
In case you missed it you can find an article about the restoration currently underway on the Winona #10 streetcar originally published in the Winona Post January 3, 2017 on their website.
Aaron Isaacs, the Museums’s Photo Archivist and Historian, is producing four seminars on Twin Cities streetcar history. They are approximately one hour each. All four are available on Youtube.
- Twin Cities Streetcars 101 – A basic history
- The Streetcars – All about the cars themselves.
- TCRT Faciliies – Carbarns, powerhouses, and amusement parks.
- TCRT Operations Behind the Scenes – Keeping the system running.
You can also access the entire series of videos through a Youtube Playlist